NC Sporting Dog Association, Inc.
Sporting Dog Code of Ethics
- I will provide proper care for my dogs including food, water, shelter, and medical care, and will insist other sporting dog owners do the same.
- I will provide proper identification and contact information on each of my dogs.
- I will diligently work to retrieve my dogs by the end of the hunt, recognizing it is my moral and ethical responsibility to retrieve every dog as quickly as possible. If I cannot locate a dog by hunt’s end, I will do my best to retrieve it as quickly thereafter as reasonably achievable.
- I will only release my dogs on property on which I have permission to hunt, and will not tolerate other releasing dogs on property for which they do not have permission to hunt.
- I will find a proper home or shelter for any dog that I determine I cannot or will not keep. I will not abandon any dog. I will not tolerate anyone who does so.
- I will consider myself a guest of the landowner, whether private, state, or federal, always seeking permission in advance of hunting activities. I will conduct myself properly, so I will be welcome in the future.
- I will do my best to tread lightly while afield, using only established roads and trails. I will leave any gates as I find them, open or closed. I will leave no litter whatsoever.
- I will promote fair chase of game animals and promote ethical treatment of hunting dogs.
- I will strictly follow the rules of safe gun handling, obey all game laws, rules, and regulations, and, I will report those who violate game laws and regulations.
- I will actively encourage young and new hunters to participate in and enjoy the thrill and camaraderie of hunting with dogs.
- While North Carolina law provides legal rights for me and protection against damage to my dogs, I will practice courtesy and respect toward landowners with whom I come into contact. I will respect their property. I will admonish my fellow hunters to do the same.
- I will always be mindful I am the public face of all dog hunters in the community and in the field. I will strive to hold myself and others to the highest standards of behavior when hunting with my dogs, in field trials, and in transportation and care of my dogs. I will strive to present positive messages and images in all online communications and photographs. I will endeavor to reflect well upon the ancient and honorable tradition of hunting with dogs.